Note: This blog has been moved to http://blog.yuvisense.net

Friday, December 23, 2005

PageRank Problems...

Well, I've had this Question for long ever since I read about PageRank in an Issue of the CHIP magazine that my Dad bought for some 50 Rupees some three years back. Intrestingly, That Magazine was bought by Dad since it posed a CD with some Games [Demos] in it... But, then, it had an article on PageRank and google and all those things. At that Time, I was just starting to learn VB and had done some non-serious absolutely crappy programing in C/C++. And, I've just had a vague Idea of the Internet and Search Engines from my Cousin Sudar.... But, that has changed Now. I use Google a Lot Now. It's my Default Search Engine with both Avant and FireFox. And, I suppose that the average Web User has used Google within the Last 60 Seconds. And the PageRank algorithm seems to be really working.... But then, something else seems to strike at me. Let me explain them to you here...

An Important part of Google's PageRank Algorithm is the No. of Links a Page gets: The More Links your page Gets, the higher is your PageRank. But the Problem is, the higher is your PageRank, the topper you go on Google. And, the topper you go on Google, more people will see it. And, as more people see it, you will naturally get many more Links. And, as you get more incoming Links, you get a Higher PageRank. And, as you get a Higher Page Rank, you move up the Google Search List. And, you get more people. And you get more links. And you get a Higher PageRank...... So, it goes on Recursively... So, I suppose You got my Point : There maybe many other sites equally as good and with better Quality, but they get lost in the Search list due to this Recursiveness and the fact that most Average Users just don't click the Next link of Google...
Well, Am I correct or am I missing a Point here ? Since It seems I am always wrong, I hope the more experienced brains correct my Mistake if I have one. And, If I don't have one, just drop in your comments, since It's really Nice to see 5 Comments at your Blog rather than 0 Comments...;) Bye for now....

4 Comments:

Blogger Yuvi Panda said...

Sure Da, but last time I looked, they were using PageRank...

12/23/2005 06:13:00 AM  
Blogger Saurabh said...

Hey .. though I have somewhat of an idea on how pagerank works, I think this is a better place to start learning.
http://www.googleguide.com/google_works.html

And though your assumption about the recursion thing is technically correct, I bet they have some mechanism to check that.

Though what you've said is absolutely correct in many situations.
Like, at the site : http://www.mouthshut.com - where I write reviews sometime, if somebody posts a review on a product before anyone else does, his review is read and rated more than others.
Which puts his review on the top and the chain continues.

The worse thing is that they display only the 3 reviews at a time, so if yours is not in the top 3, you might not get read that often.

12/27/2005 07:13:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yuvi,

I read your blog just now. And here is the explanation straight from Google itself. Check this link http://www.google.com/technology/pigeonrank.html

Hope it clears ur doubt. ;-)

1/12/2006 01:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
» »

11/22/2006 07:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home