Note: This blog has been moved to http://blog.yuvisense.net

Monday, May 01, 2006

Why I am not using Captchas....

Well, recently, Aswin and logic said I should enable captchas. Well, I'm not going to, unless some things change, and change dramatically...

It's a matter of Scale. I get around 2 pieces of comment spam a week. And, it takes me 3 clicks to remove them. So, on an average, in one week, I'm spending 6 extra clicks on comment spam...

On an average, I get 7 comments a week. So, assuming an average CAPTCHA length of 6 chars, thats 6 x 7 = 42 Keystrokes! And, not to mention that a single mistyped keystroke will mean a new captcha...

So, at the current Scale and rate of Comment SPAM, it's 7 times more expensive on the average to enable Captchas! So, I'm not enabling them.... And, to anyone who's getting fewer than 4 pieces of Comment SPAM a week, I encourage you to disable Captchas and enable Anonymous Commenting.....

P.S. Well, maybe I'm reading too much Eric Sink and Joel Spolsky:D


Technorati Tags: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home