Note: This blog has been moved to http://blog.yuvisense.net

Thursday, January 19, 2006

From Linux..

Hi Guys. I am writing this post from Linux. From SuSE Linux 9.1 to be exact. It finished download yesterday morning, after being in the queue for some 10 days. And, I started partitioning my HardDisk to make space for it at around 10 PM Yesterday, and it finished installing at around 11:45. Luckily, All my nightmares about an unbootable computer did not come true.... Well, the first thing I noticed was the Typography : It looked a hell lot like ClearType. I donno why, maybe, atleast to me, the Text looked a lot like using ClearType.... Well, but it took me almost an hour to figure out how to setup my Internet connection, which took less than 2 minutes in Knoppix. This is ontop of the fact that both use the KDE Desktop and [obviously] the Linux Kernel. Though the Typography rocks in the UI, it completely sucks in the Webbrowser, Konqueror. I just can't see the difference between an e and an r. Suppose I've gotta tweak it once I get back from School... Response times are good, though my attempts at installing Mono are in vain. Hope to get the hang of it, and install Firefox and Opera.... Well, I actually installed it just to check out Mono, and I hope I can check it out. I've got the mono Runtime in, but the MonoSharp Development Platform doesn't install. Hope to make it out... Well, nice thing to blog about when you have just an hour before your English II Exam begins, isn't it ?:P Thanks, and keep the comments coming....

6 Comments:

Blogger Kaushik said...

You should probably be using Mono Live if your intent is to run mono alone.

1/19/2006 07:29:00 PM  
Blogger Aswin Anand T.H. said...

hey dude ! congrats on ur linux setup.. Im using redhat fedora core 3 and setting up broadband in that is a breeze. Setting up a dialup requires some tweaking and finding the right driver for ur modem especially if its an internal modem. Enjoy!!

1/19/2006 11:51:00 PM  
Blogger Aswin Anand T.H. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1/19/2006 11:53:00 PM  
Blogger Aswin Anand T.H. said...

Btw, you should GAIM instant messenger, wine (windows apps emulator) and K download manager. I donno whether the K download manager ships with SuSE...hava nice time. :-)

1/19/2006 11:54:00 PM  
Blogger Yuvi Panda said...

Thanks Kaushik. I never knew of the Mono Live thing. I think I'd be putting that up for download today...

Thanks Aswin. And, KGet ships with SuSE. And, anyway, I'm just completely frustrated with YaST : Installing Programs in Windows is way much easier....

Thanks Ramesh. And, I think maybe, I can give you the intro into connecting to dataone : a 5 min job, since I've struggled through it already...

1/20/2006 05:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of Linux..

1/20/2006 09:16:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home