Note: This blog has been moved to http://blog.yuvisense.net

Thursday, May 04, 2006

[Netbeans]Installation...

Hi people. Now, I'm finally trying to learn Java, at the advice of Aswin and Sudar. Aswin reccommended Netbeans 5.0. Since I'm a download junkie, I had it already in my HDD, so I started the Install...

Not, such a good first Impression. The install options were simple. The Buttons looked almost real. But, I ran into lots of problems, though none of them resolvable by me..

First, the interval between me clicking the executable and the Install Window showing up was 6 minutes of intense Hard Disk activity. That's OK with me. Heck, VS 2005 took 15 mins for the main window to show up. But, it showed me a progress window. Well, I guess I should stop complaining...

The Install Program was good. Very Simple. Except that it tried to install the Sun Server in a non-standard path out of the Program Files Folder, which I had to fix. I was able to start the actual installation in about 15 secs....

But then started my Problems... The setup app spawned a java.exe process, which

  1. made 100% CPU Utilization
  2. Grew to over 150 MB!
  3. And, Invalidated all other Windows!
I can live with 1, I can live with 2, but I can't  live with 3.

#Region "Skip This If you don't like Theory"

Well, let me tell you about Windows invalidation. I do not know if it is the correct term, but I'll call it that anyway. I think you would have experienced this frequently : The Window turns white and the Title bar remains correct. Usually, this happens if the Window is so busy doing something that it does not respond immediately to the WM_PAINT Message. So, the Window is not painted, so it's all White. So, that window is invalidated. It mostly occurs when the app is doing some heavy processing, like in a very big and complex loop... Got it?

#End Region


So, what actually happened was, EVERY WINDOW GOT INVALIDATED! So, I can't do any work in any app until this half an hour Install finishes! They're all White, and they don't respond to clicks. If they do respond, they do so after, huh, 10 or 20 secs......  I do not know what is the cause of this, but I've heard that WindowsForms v1.0 used to cause this, but it's fixed in v2.0. Maybe, Swing too has the same problem.... I've gotta ask someone who actually knows Java about this:D

Anyway, so It's Installed in there. I've not yet started it. I'm looking for a good Java tutorial for, huh, let's say Dummies:D So, I'm writing a Series on how I'm doing with NetBeans....

So, thanks, and keep the comments coming.... I'd like some Java expert to tell me something about that Invalidation Problem....


Technorati Tags: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Sharath MS said...

thats called as the "aswin" effect :D

he just cant resist speaking about java can he? ;)

5/05/2006 07:02:00 AM  
Blogger Yuvi Panda said...

Hehe:D But, quite true... He talks more about Java than .NET:D

Without him, any other app that's giving me this much of problems would've gone straight out of the "Window" :D

5/05/2006 07:05:00 AM  
Blogger Aswin Anand T.H. said...

@sarath:
"Aswin Effect"..ha ha ha cool dude :D

@yuvi:
im running on 640 mb ram. so i dint face any probs :) even u wont wen u shift to 1gb day after tomo, especially the invalidation :D

And netbeans requires a min of 384 mb ram. Therefore, running it on 256 can be painful. Dats my experience ;)

5/05/2006 08:34:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

7/22/2006 07:52:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home