Note: This blog has been moved to http://blog.yuvisense.net

Sunday, August 27, 2006

Tech Support...

Reading through Sriram's old blog, I came across this nugget from a while back. Needless to say, it's exactly the same situation as I am in.  Difference being, I have all non-techy normal people to handle, so it can get a bit frustrated...

Sriram says about the "Computer being upside down". And, he "Still Don't know" what caused that...

But...

I know! I'm such an egoisticall buff that I can't but write a blog post when I discover something I know that an uber-geek doesn't:D

It's called by a bunch of names in different video cards, but it's advertised as a "Feature". In my NVidia Geforce FX, it's called NRotate. And, in most Intel Integrated Video Cards, you still have that "feature".

What's more, there's actually a Shortkut to rotate the screen! It's thankfully off by default, but a few bits of Exploration will switch it on...

And then, all you need is to press Ctrl+Alt+Up Arrow to flip it upwards, Ctrl+Alt+Left Arrow to put it up in "Portrait Mode" and so on. It's actully a rather fun prank we try at school...It's not uncommon to find upturned screens in the School Lab. But, it's rather common knowledge, so most guys know to correct it. But, it's always fun to watch the horrification of some of the lower class CS teachers when they see the Screen upturned:D

I know it! I know it! I beat an uber-Geek:D

Geee, I'm such an egoistical bastard:D

P.S. Just more link spamming, I've written about this before. More ROTFL, because she's actually supposed to be a "Fully Trained Computer Professional":D

6 Comments:

Blogger Sharath MS said...

Here's another trick for one of your "certified" teachers. You might have already done it and there are pretty good chances that your teachers might have been horrified about this before :) But anyways, here goes ...

step1: take a screen shot of the desktop, set it as the wallpaper and hide all the icons.
step2: watch them go bonkers
step3: rotfl

8/27/2006 04:33:00 AM  
Blogger Yuvi Panda said...

That's already done:D But, we do it only on the "Teachers" User account:D

8/27/2006 04:35:00 AM  
Blogger Sharath MS said...

here is another - write a small exe which opens and closes the cd-rom door based upon a timer :) (pinvoke)

8/27/2006 04:36:00 AM  
Blogger Yuvi Panda said...

Hehe, you're givin us quite a number of Ideas..:D I guess we'll just write another SubSeven:P

8/27/2006 04:38:00 AM  
Blogger Sriram said...

Sorry dude - I had an NVidia card at the time so I was well aware of their stuff. :-)

This guy didn't have an external card at all - he had an Intel onboard chipset which definitely didn't have anything like this among the display properties

8/27/2006 05:27:00 PM  
Blogger Yuvi Panda said...

Nope, this thing is present on most Onboard Chipsets as well... But, I think you have to insall Intel Extreme Graphics Software...

8/27/2006 06:28:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home